You received invitation to a wedding. Congratulations! Now you need to start planning what to wear to this wonderful event. Before rushing to your favorite boutique you need to understand and remember the following:
– The wedding is a very special event for the couple, so you should dress to respect and celebrate their union.
– The couple should be the center of everyone’s attention, so ladies don’t try to out-stage the bride or “steal” all the attention by wearing too sexy, revealing or white dress.
– If the wedding is at a religious site, don’t show too much skin! Your shoulders should be covered.
– Follow any style indications given by the couple. Especially if they plan theme wedding, do your best to find the most perfect costume.
– You need to feel beautiful, festive and comfortable.
– Remember! Each and every guest by looking and feeling good contribute to the overall celebration. So, please, do make an effort!
These are just general guidelines you need to consider while preparing for a wedding and choosing your most wonderful attire. The other very important thing is, of course, the dress code:
1) Dress code usually is stated on the invitation and it can be Black-Tie Optional, Black-Tie, Casual, particular theme based or even White-Tie. When you know the official dress code, it is always easy to dress accordingly. Just read our guidelines for every particular dress code here, if in doubt.
Here you can see some examples of the appropriate evening gowns to wear to a wedding:
2) If no particular dress code is mentioned on the invitation, you can try to get the hint from the language and style of the invitation. For example, if it is written in the formal language then the wedding will most likely be as formal. If the couple’s invitation is full of jokes and is far from traditional, then maybe you can go for a more casual attire.
3) You probably know the couple good enough, so you can guess what they will expect from their guests on this special day.
4) The other hint can provide the place where the celebration will happen. If it is in a castle or fancy restaurant, then you should be in formal attire and if it is in a backyard, maybe you can go for a more casual look.
5) Casual look doesn’t mean that you can wear shorts, jeans or flip-flops as well as mini-skirts and plunging necklines.
6) Black dress should be worn cautiously. First of some people see black dress at a wedding as a sign of disapproval of the marriage. So, if you still decide to wear black dress make sure that it doesn’t look too mourning. Try to light it up with some colorful accessories. Avoid wearing black dress for a daytime wedding.
In a nutshell, if there is no particular dress code stated on the invitation, ladies can never go wrong with a long evening gown for an evening dress and beautiful cocktail dress for a daytime wedding. And men will always look good in a tailored suite and tie. If the event will turn out to be more casual than you look, then men can take off the jacket and a tie.
Here are some examples of appropriate cocktail dresses to wear to a wedding:
No matter what you decide to wear, make sure to have fun, be in a good mood and celebrate this magnificent occasion of mutual love of two people! How beautiful!
Do you have questions about Wedding Guest Attire or you think we forgot to mention something important? Come talk with us! Leave your comment below!
Julia is the co-founder of Etiquette Tips – an online magazine that features articles on business etiquette, communication, dress code, table manners, international code of behaviour, gift giving, events & celebrations and more.
You can find her on Google + and Twitter