Question: How to rebuild your wardrobe from scratch?
The initial problem: it is difficult to buy necessary items for your next perfect look all at once. But if you simply buy things which you like, it becomes close to impossible to mix them with the existing wardrobe later on.
Answer: There are several solutions to such problem, but this time let’s picture that your wardrobe is totally empty and you must rebuild it literally from scratch. Imagine that you suddenly must renew every single item of your clothing collection. Maybe you’ve achieved your ideal weight or grew parts you wanted to grow; in two words, let’s dream!
When the budget is limited the first thing to keep in mind is – your perfect capsule wardrobe must consist of high quality essentials. Later on, when you are ready to mix and experiment with colours, these essential clothing items will allow you to build new perfect looks simply by adding little details and components (such as various accessories).
Here is the list of apparel you will need to create the perfect capsule wardrobe:
1. A suit or tuxedo jacket
2. A dress (it is better to choose black or some neutral colours like beige, grey or khaki)
3. A tunic or cardigan
4. Straight-leg pants ( when you choose colour, pick any but black)
5. A shirt or a blouse (pick white, ivory or pale grey colour)
6. A striped tee or pullover
7. A turtleneck pullover
8. A black pencil skirt (Before buying a pencil skirt, make sure you try on as much as possible various skirts to find the one with your perfect length)
9. Jeans (Dedicate some time to find your ideal jeans cut)
10. A trench coat
11. A classic coat
12. A silk or cashmere scarf (aka pashmina)
13. High heeled ankle or knee boots, platform booties
14. Flat heeled boots or loafers
16. High Heel Shoes
18. A daytime handbag
17. An evening handbag
13. A wide waist belt
14. A skinny belt
15. Pearl or Multi-Strand Necklaces
16. Earrings (When you choose earrings keep in mind that they have to look well with your watches and necklaces)
17. Boyfriend watches
18. Classic sunglasses (Aviator or similar, depending on the type of sunglases what suits you the most)
These are the main items you will need to build the solid capsule wardrobe. Later on you can enrich this clothing collection with such extra elements as mini skirts, shorts, blouses and silk tops. Whatever you feel goes well with your personal style and helps you to create perfect looks.
Now let’s review several examples and situations where the capsule wardrobe is imperative. To make it more interesting, let’s experiment with one item and try to create 2 different looks using it.
A set that allows to change some components and feel confident both at business meetings and at a romantic dinner:
A turtleneck pullover to wear to the dinner+movie combo or to the office:
Using right accessories you can wear the same dress both to the office or to the evening show:
There might be nothing more diverse than a striped tee or pullover. It can both look perfect with jeans and a pencil skirt:
Another option for a classic turtleneck; here you can quickly transform the business chic look to the city sleek:
By the way, consider spending more money on pullovers, cardigans and tunics. Nothing looks worse than the cheap glitter of bad quality wool clothes. It’s better to have only one cardigan, but of a high quality.
Classic blouse can look great both in the office and during the weekend. You can wear it under the tunics and jerseys:
The original text was created by Tyulka, a young fashion designer and entrepreneur living in New York City. Capsule wardrobe examples from the author: http://s-a-i-d-a.polyvore.com. More from the author at Blogspot: http://stilleta-stilleta.blogspot.com/
Shop the looks at Polyvore
Do you have questions about Building the Perfect Capsule Wardrobe or you think we forgot to mention something important? Come talk to us! We are looking forward to hearing from you!;)